Monday 11 June 2012

Butterfly Magic Box

For my final 3D object for the Certificate in Papercraft I've made a Butterfly Magic Box.  I made this following the tutorial on the Magic Boxes website. 


I cut two squares from an A4 sheet of Moondust card, one of 190mm for the box and one of 82mm for the box lid.  I then scored the larger box 74mm from each side and the smaller box 20mm from each side.  I cut the corners from the larger box and folded along the scorelines.   To make the lid I snipped all four corners, trimmed the excess and fastened the corners with tacky glue.  To decorate the inside and outside of the box (both are the same) I used a turquoise and red Hot off the Press paper (a magazine freebie) and attached this to a 300gsm card to make the box sides heavy - this weight helps the drop when the lid is removed.  I stamped the butterflies onto thin white card and coloured them with Pastel Green, Amethyst and Antique Pink Promarkers.  After cutting out the butterflies I stamped the reverse.   They butterflies were attached to the end of a thin strip of acetate - the other end of the acetate was slotted through slits in the square patterned base.   When I was happy with the height of the butterflies I cut off the acetate under the patterned base and attached the ends with tape.   This was then attached to the inside of the magic box.  I then used Diamond Stickles on the butterflies so they will catch the light when the box is opened.

As this is to submitted for the Certificate I would welcome feedback or suggestions for improvement, please.

Kath x

1 comment:

Jules said...

Hi Kath

Your magic box is wonderful. Love the butterflies!!

I have never made one of these but might have to try one myself one of these days .. .. but might use hearts instead of the butterflies!

Thank you for the link to the website.

A great project.

Love Jules xx